Jack N' Jill Silicone Toothbrush is unique because they are one solid piece of medical grade siliconeright down to the bristles. The brush is designed to be used as a toothbrush not a teether and chewing should be avoided. However we understand this is often difficult to avoid with young babies/children and recommend supervision at all times. If the Silicone Toothbrush is chewed the bristles may come off, but not to worry. This Silicone Toothbrush is made of inert medical grade silicone which is non-toxic, and if swallowed, can pass through the digestive system without any problems. Always check your baby/childs toothbrush and remove any loose bristles before each use. This is easy to do when rinsing/cleaning in preparation for use. To make sure that minimum pressure is used, it's best for the parent/guardian to brush the child's teeth with this toothbrush.